Arts & Crafts copper, silver and Red enamel box by the Guild of Handicraft Ltd Chipping Campden. Circa 1904

£ 2200

A rare example stamped to the base with the ‘G of H Ltd’ mark which C.R Ashbee established in 1888.
The rectangular planished copper box with central pierced silver and red enamel plaque, riveted strap hinges, and complete with its cedar-lined interior with central divider.
19 x 12.5 x 5cm.

Ref: 24532

The workshops are still run to this day by Harts the last operating remnant of The Guild of Handicraft. So it was only appropriate we asked these very craft men to make a repair to one of the hinges and straighten one foot on our box, a copy of our invoice for the repair will be included in the sale and can be seen in our images.
Over the years this box has gained a beautiful undisturbed patination which Harts and ourselves have gone to extreme lengths to retain, hence the box has only received a light buff with museum grade renaissance wax, a none acidic polish that helps repel finger prints. A little paranoia maybe, but a genuine stamped box by G of H with this patination deserves a little care.

For more information: ‘Court Barn’ museum in Chipping Campden is dedicated to nine lives or workshops that were established in the North Cotswolds and starts with C.R Ashbee, then continues with the former members of the Ashbee Guild who remained working in Chipping Campden following the dissolution of the Guild of Handicraft in 1908, including the Hart family that still operate from the old silk mill in Sheep Street.