A Remarkable Bronze framed and glazed display of silver plate flat wear by Sheffield makers Roberts & Belk Ltd. Circa 1920

£ 5000

A large factory display of wares, with gilt inscription to the front “Romney Plate” and two hand painted oval plaques for their royal patronages, first “by gracious appointment to H.M The KING” (George V) and secondly “by appointment to H.R.H the PRINCE of Wales (Edward)

An advertising label inside the case for Roberts & Belk Ltd mentions “Silver & Electro Plate Spoons Forks & Cutlery of every description. Ship & Hotel Plate, Contractor to the Admiralty, War Office & Other Governments”.

The firm was originally established as Furniss, Poles & Turner in 1810. After several different partnerships, the firm became Robert & Belk in 1863 and finally in 1901 became Roberts & Belk Ltd.
Besides the “Furnival works” Sheffield factory, the firm was also active in London, with showrooms at 28 Ely Place.
‘The Ironmonger’ on the 12th November 1887, noted that the ‘sounding clink of the brazier’s hammer has hardly ever been silent on any working day in Roberts & Belk’s Furnival Works since the early part of the present century’. The lineage can be traced through Furniss, Poles &; Turner, William Briggs,
Finally in 1961 Robert & Belk Ltd was bought by C.J. Vander Ltd.

Footnote. Additionally, to the side of the case is attached a small trade label for the bronze and glazed display case manufactures “E Pollard & Co” who started trading from Clerckenwell Rd, London in 1906.

116cm Wide x 104cm High x 16cm Deep.

Ref: 24485