A LARGE VICTORIAN GOTHIC REVIVAL CARVED OAK WALL CLOCK by W. DAVIS AND SONS, BIRMINGHAM, CIRCA 1860

£ 4000

With a quality 8 day movement that works beautifully. Fully serviced and guaranteed.
The five pillar twin chain fusee gong striking movement with shouldered plates and anchor escapement regulated by 21 inch wood-rod pendulum incorporating cylindrical brass bob, the 12 inch circular engraved silvered brass dial polychrome decorated to resemble a rose-window and signed W. DAVIS & SONS, NEW ST., BIRMINGHAM to center within Gothic Roman numeral hour chapter ring with conforming stylised foliate half hour markers and outer minute track, with steel fleur-de-lys hands set behind hinged glazed moulded brass bezel, the case with foliate trefoil finial to the moulded ogee-arch pediment incorporating further crotchet finials to shoulders and leaf carved tracery to inside edge, with repeating gothic arch tracery hinged panel beneath the dial flanked by projecting canted architectural uprights each capped with spires and fronted with gothic arch recesses between shaped projections, the sides with hinged doors and the base with ogee moulded waist over canted underside further decorated with overlaid tracery to front and terminating with a foliate carved trefoil pendant.
165cm high, 61cm wide and 25.5cm deep.
William Davis and Sons are recorded in Loomes, Brian Watchmakers & Clockmakers of the World, Volume 2 as working in Birmingham 1854-80

Ref:22204